Tomorrow is the day and Pumpkin Spice Lattes are FINALLY going to be back at Starbucks! It’s about time. To celebrate the return of this gift from heaven, I made these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes and thought I’d share the recipe with you.
I don’t know how I managed this but these cupcakes were so soft and fluffy. Lighter than air! I used canned pumpkin puree for this recipe but you can make your own if you prefer. However, I would say it’s way easier to go hunting for a can like this.
My Pumpkin Spice Mix
I also make my own pumpkin pie spice mix. In a large jar I shake together: 8 tbsp ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp ground nutmeg, 2 tbsp ground ginger and 1 tbsp mixed spice. I keep it in my baking drawer to use in my pumpkin spice bakes or sprinkle on the top of whipped cream on my coffee. Similarly, you can sprinkle it over pies and pastries too!
Pumpkins on Pumpkins!
You may also notice that I decorated this batch of cupcakes with two different types of icing. Traditionally, I would serve these cupcakes with cream cheese icing (as included in the recipe). However, if you prefer, you can decorate these with buttercream. Here is Vanilla Buttercream: Back to Basics recipe. I dyed it orange and made some stalks out of dark green fondant.
Here’s my top tip on how to pipe pumpkins. Work from the outside in to give a more realistic view of a pumpkin. Then add your stalk.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes…
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice mix (see recipe in blog post)
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- a pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 140 g plain flour
- 55 g butter unsalted, room temp
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 90 ml milk
- 125 g pumpkin puree
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- 150 g butter room temp
- 150 g icing sugar sifted
- 300 g full fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon plus extra for decoration
To make the Cupcakes…
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the dry ingredients for the cupcakes into a large bowl and mix together.
- Using a stand mixer of electric hand mixer, cream the butter and two sugars together until fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix until well combined. Add a spoonful of the flour mixture if it looks like it's about to curdle.
- Stir in the milk and pumpkin puree using a spatula or spoon.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until fully combined but not overly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the 12 paper cases and bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes until they are golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool while making the icing.
To make the Icing…
- Place the butter in a free-standing mixer or using an electric hand whisk, whisk the butter until its lighter in colour and smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and mix on a medium speed until fully mixed and smooth.
- Add the cream cheese, vanilla and cinnamon and mix for a few minutes until fully combined, smooth and fluffy.
- Decant into a piping bag with a nozzle and pipe onto the top of your cupcake. Sprinkle over ground cinnamon and complete with cinnamon stick (optional).
As always, thank you for reading and come back on Sunday where I have a very exciting announcement for you all!