Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fan of Autumn. I love this season and the -ber months, as I call them. I cannot tell you how happy I am that it is now September. The leaves are starting to change, there’s a cool breeze in the air and an energy of ‘change is coming’. By change I of course mean, cosy weather. Weather that allows me to cuddle up in a blanket in the evenings, maybe in a jumper and bed socks. What better thing to have with that than an Apple and Pear Crumble!
Pumpkin Spice Addiction
The list of reasons why I love this season is endless, but one of the things on that list is the spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, clove and most of all: Pumpkin Spice! I can’t lie, I am super grumpy that it’s the beginning of Autumn and I have not had my Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte yet. I am craving the warmth of pumpkin spice and the comfort it brings my soul. So to compromise, I made this Apple and Pear Crumble jam packed full of warming spices. I know not everyone likes the strong taste of spices, so you can always tone them down or just stick to the traditional cinnamon.
This time of year is great for baking and who doesn’t love a good crumble? You can have pretty much any fruit you like in a crumble but I chose apple and pear because we were inundated with pears this year from our garden’s pear tree and I thought apples would accompany them quite nicely. We seem to get more and more pears every year and no matter how big of a box we give to family, friends and neighbours, we can’t seem to get rid of them! I even donated a huge box to a local restaurant! So if you want some pears, let me know, I’ll ship them to you! lol.
Apple and Pear Crumble
- 135 g rolled oats
- 65 g plain flour
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 113 g butter cut into cubes
- 3 Granny Smith apples cored, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 pears cored, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan (180°C)
- Mix together the oats, flour, 100g light brown sugar, 50g dark brown sugar and butter together using your fingers until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix together the apples, pears, lemon juice, remaining light brown sugar and spices together in a large bowl until completely coated.
- Spread the fruit mixture into the bottom of an oven-proof dish. Then top with the oat mixture evenly until the fruits are covered.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the top becomes a golden brown colour.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
You’ll thank me later because your house will smell AMAZING!
This is one of those desserts that tastes so good, you push past the uncomfortableness of your full tummy to finish it. It’s too good to not eat even if you’re up to your eyeballs in food. Yes, I did eat this in the middle of the afternoon, it’s ones of the benefits of my job! Honestly, I would shamelessly eat this for breakfast. Haha!
What do you serve with your crumble? Are you a custard person? Ice cream person? Or, like my fiancé, a cream and custard in one bowl person? Let me know in the comments!
Also, help me settle a debate:
Is the crumble the best part or the fruit filling? Let me know in the comments or over on my Instagram!