Everyone has that meal that is a special treat. That meal that when you propose making it, everyone says “Oooo… yeh let’s have that for tea” and you all start salivating like dogs. In my house, it’s usually at the thought of a Chinese take away but this is gets the same reaction. Comforting Bacon Mac and Cheese. I named it that because it is what it says: comforting. Pasta in a silky cheese sauce with smoked bacon pieces. It’s the perfect dish for a miserable day. Is it healthy? No way! But I love it, my fiancé loves it and kids love it.
I started making mac and cheese a lot when we were strapped for cash and just wanted a simple, cheap dinner idea. Then one day, we had leftover bacon (rare) and decided to try and add it to the dish. We’ve never done it any other way since. It’s still a cheap and easy dinner idea and it’s still a firm favourite in our house.
I added the mozzarella for that cheese pull effect (and boy does it!). If you like that stringy cheese effect just add more mozzarella. To make it really thick and have ultimate cheese-pull, heat the sauce after you’ve added the mozzarella!
Obviously, you could make this without the bacon if you’re veggie but you could also experiment and add whatever you want! I sometimes make this with broccoli for my daughter, instead of bacon. You can add jalapeños, different veggies, fish, pieces of steak (drool), sausage, meatballs, etc. Don’t be afraid to make it your own!
Bacon Mac and Cheese
- 350 g pasta
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 rashers smoked bacon cut into small pieces
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 400 ml milk
- 150 ml double cream optional
- 150 g cheddar cheese grated
- 50 g shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C Fan).
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon pieces in a pan with the oil on a medium/high heat until crispy. Then place on a plate and set aside.
To make the cheese sauce…
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add flour and mix to combine.
- Add a splash of milk and combine. Continue to slowly add the milk in small amounts at a time until you use it all.
- Add the double cream and stir to combine (optional).
- Add the grated cheddar, reserving some aside. Season with salt and pepper and stir until the cheese is melted in.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add in the mozzarella and stir until just melted.
- Once your pasta is cooked, drain it. Then combine the pasta with the cooked bacon and cheese sauce. Mix until combined.
- Spread evenly into an ovenproof dish and top with the reserved cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese on top is a golden brown colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to sit for 1 minute. Serve and then serve yourself some more because it’s really good – there will be no leftovers.
Thanks for taking the time to read. If you enjoyed this Bacon Mac and Cheese recipe, you may also like:
Quick 15 minute Spaghetti Carbonara
Grandma’s Schnitzel Recipe
Summer Burrito Bowls Recipe
Ultimate Potato Salad Recipe
Also, check out this Ham Hock Mac and Cheese recipe from Hodge Podge Days blog: https://hodgepodgedays.co.uk/recipe/ham-hock-macaroni-cheese/
Don’t forget to sign up for our Newsletter!