I love nothing more in the Summer than chilling in the garden, Corona (beer) in hand and chowing down on these delicious Burrito Bowls. You can add any toppings and I do dream of hosting a ‘Burrito Bowls’ party. Ya know, a table full of toppings people can pick from. Things like: cheese, jalapeños, red onion, avocado, hot sauce, tomatoes, peppers or bacon!
“Why put it in a bowl? Why not just make Burritos? Is it just some hipster trend?”
Maybe it is but I am a woman of quality over quantity and everyone knows, the best parts of burritos are the filling. Instead of cramming everything into a tortilla, just bung it in a bowl. You can eat more of the reason you eat a burrito and add extra bits without it compromising the ratio or the full-ness of the tortilla. It’s basic science, Karen. It maybe a trend, it may have started to reduce carbs in a diet but that doesn’t mean carb-lovers and non-hipsters can’t enjoy it!
“I don’t have time to create a Burrito Bowls salad bar for my family at dinner time.”
That’s ok, neither do I! Here’s some short cuts for you:
1. Buy microwave rice. Microwaved in 2 minutes. Saves washing up. Pop it in the microwave once you’ve finished making the chilli and *PING* rice is ready.
2. Buy jarred jalapenos, already grated cheese or frozen veggies. Defrost the veggies in the morning or in hot water while you’re cooking and add them to the bowl.
3. Don’t have time to cook chilli in the evening? Check out my Super Easy Slow Cooker Chilli. Set it up in the slow cooker that morning and when you come home, you’ll have beautifully cooked chilli ready to eat!
So here you have it, my Summer Burrito Bowl recipe. (You’re welcome, Karen).
Summer Burrito Bowls
- 500 g ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 tin red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 sachet Swartz Chilli Con Carne Mix
- 1 packet microwave rice or any rice you like
- 250 g cheese grated
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 avocado stoned and sliced
- 1 jar chopped jalapenos optional
- Any sauces optional
- Brown the mince in a sauce pan with oil.
- Once fully browned, add the kidney beans, chopped tomatoes and the contents of the Chilli Con Carne sachet.
- Pour in 125ml cold water. Leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave the rice.
- Divide your bowl into two sections and fill one section with rice. Fill the other with chilli.
- Top the chilli side with cheese. Top the rice side with red onion, avocado slices and jalapenos.
- Drizzle hot sauce over the entire bowl.
Obviously, the last two instructions are optional but that is how I assemble mine. I love spicy food! However, if you’re not a fan on spicy food, you could add sour cream or squeeze some lime over the top for a zesty and refreshing flavour. I keep meaning to add tortilla chips to this or Doritos on the side with some fresh salsa because I feel like that would accompany the bowl really well.
I hope this recipe becomes a new favourite for some of you because it is definitely one of my favourites! Don’t forget to follow me on social media and follow the blog so you can be the first to know when I upload next.
In other news…
I just wanted to use this section of the post to announce that something very exciting is coming to the blog this Sunday. I feel like I say that a lot however, this is something I am whole-heartedly, nervously excited about. It would mean the WORLD to me if you would read the post on Sunday and join in on my new adventure. This is something I have put my heart and soul into creating for you, my lovely readers and I have so many things I want to give to you. This is the first step and I cannot achieve anything I want to without YOUR participation. So excited and also slightly pooping myself. As always, thank you for reading and I love you lots! xx
I just reached 150 followers on my Instagram! It may not seem like a lot to some but I am so grateful. I spend most of my time on Instagram so go ahead, follow me and join the family: