I found this recipe recently and I thought I would share it (along with my alterations). This recipe is Vegetarian, Vegan and (most importantly) a one pot meal, making it perfect for a midweek meal you need to cook in a hurry or a simple comforting dish when the weather is, well, British. It’s packed full of veggies so it is perfect for kids. “My kids don’t like veggies”. Well, guess what, Karen, neither does my fiance. He is a big kid or a ‘manly man’ when it comes to food. It’s either turkey dinosaurs or lots of meat and failing that, lots of cheese but he actually liked this AND had seconds AND requested I made it again!
I find this is best served with warm crusty bread but you could serve it with rice. This recipe makes enough to serve 4. Being a one pot meal you will literally only need one large saucepan, a chopping board, a sharp knife and a sieve (if you want to rince your tinned chickpeas). That’s it!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450g sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 clove of garlic (I buy the jarred, already minced stuff because I’m lazy)
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning (I buy the Schwartz one found in the spices aisle)
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- tinned chickpeas
- 250ml vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut sweet potato, red onion and bell peppers into bite sized chunks. Mince or finely chop the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan and add the sweet potato, red onion and peppers.
- Sauté until softened then stir in the garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the Cajun seasoning, tinned tomatoes, chickpeas and vegetable stock. Simmer on a low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potato is soft enough to your taste. This should take between 10-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with warm crusty bread.
It is literally that simple. I like to make a big batch of this so I can reheat it for lunches or make multiple dinners for my little one. You can add more Cajun seasoning to intensify the flavour or add chilli powder to give it a kick. It is so versatile that it will suit almost anyone’s tastes.
If you make this, I would love to hear how it went. Follow me on my socials and you can share pictures with me when you make this! Hope this has helped with the dreaded meal planning or a last minute “what do I make?” panic. Thanks for reading!