An absolute classic. This is my go to cupcake recipe. It makes lovely, fluffy and absolutely moreish cupcakes. Perfect when topped with vanilla buttercream or a sharp blueberry icing. So simple and yummy, ideal for kids to decorate and cover in sprinkles!
- 110g butter (room temp)
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 125g plain flour
- 120ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC (fan)/ 180ºC/ gas 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Sift the two flours into a separate bowl and combine.
- Add the vanilla extract to the milk.
- Add 1/3 of the flour to the creamed mixture and beat well. Pour 1/3 of the milk and beat again. Repeat until all flour and milk is added.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases until they’re two thirds full.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Insert a skewer into the centre of the cupcakes to check they are cooked (it should come out clean).
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin and then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool. Once completely cool, ice and decorate how you like!