It’s that time of year, again! There’s a chill in the air, the nights are getting darker and winter is creeping in. What better way to warm yourself up in the evening than with some good old fashioned comfort food. This slow cooker recipe is so easy and has under 15 minutes of prep time, making this the perfect mid-week meal.
The only prep needed to do is brown the mince with some chopped onion and then bung all the ingredients into the slow cooker and leave it to do its magic. In this recipe, I’m using beef mince made from my auntie’s cows. She raises Dexter cows (which aren’t just delicious but amazingly cute) and I was lucky enough that she filled my freezer with beef. I simply defrosted the mince in the fridge the day before and browned it the morning I was going to use it. After the slow cooker has done its thing, boil up some rice and bish bash bosh that’s dinner sorted!
Top tip: If you want to save even more time (or you’re lazy like me) use frozen, already chopped, onion.
Top tip #2: Spray your slow cooker with oil (I use Fry Light) before adding the beef.
- 450g-500g responsibly sourced, free range, minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp mild chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 190ml hot beef stock (I use OXO)
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400g tinned red kidney beans
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Brown beef mince in a frying pan and season with salt and pepper. Half way through cooking add chopped onion.
- Once fully cooked, add to slow cooker (do not turn on yet). Add chilli powder, smoked paprika, tomato purée, beef stock, chopped tomatoes, drained red kidney beans and Worcestershire sauce to the beef.
- Mix together and turn on slow cooker to low. Cook for 6 hours stirring occasionally. Taste as it cooks and alter spices to personal preference.
- Serve with rice and (optional) grated cheese on top.
This recipe is so versatile and you can make it personal to you and your family’s taste. If you have any questions please feel free to comment below. If you’d like me to do more recipes, give this post some love and click the like button.
Sending good vibes!